Employment Based Temporary Residence

B-1 Business Visa: Not for Temporary Residence!

Foreign nationals may enter for a specific period, for a particular business purpose: for example, to participate in Board meetings, trade shows, speaking engagements, seminars, conventions and conferences, or to investigate investment opportunities, consult with business associates, negotiate contracts, do independent research or engage in classroom-based training. They can also install equipment from a foreign country, or train other workers in the use of such equipment. Any salary compensation should emanate from a foreign employer abroad.  Take care when applying for a B-1 visa to make sure that you cannot accomplish your goals with the visa waiver program.  If visa free travel options would be more suitable, you may well be refused a B-1 visa at the US Embassy or Consulate, and then not be permitted to travel on the visa waiver program!  Consult with a US immigration lawyer, if you are considering applying for a B-1 Business Visa.  More information can be found at US Visitor Visas. 

H-1B Specialty Occupation (Professional) Visa

H-1B visas are a popular choice for those wishing to employ professionals in positions requiring at least a bachelor’s degree (or equivalent work experience) at the prevailing market wage.

H-3 Temporary Trainee Visas

Training should benefit the foreign national in pursuing a career outside the US. It should not be designed primarily for productive employment.

L-1 Intracompany Transferee Visas & “Start Up” L Visas

Companies wishing to transfer an employee, of at least one year, from a foreign branch to a US office may use the L-1 Visa for executives, managers and specialized knowledge employees.

E-2 Treaty Investor Visas

These are limited to foreign nationals from countries with bilateral treaties with the US. Available for managers or executives as well as specialized workers, essential to the operation.

TN Worker Visas

Similar to the H-1B, Mexican and Canadian nationals enter with a job offer from a US employer from a TN list of qualifying positions.

F-1 (on PPT or OPT) Student Visas

The visa holder must be engaged in a full course of study at a school in the US, but students may seek approval of their university international office to work part-time or immediately after graduation, if certain criteria are met.

J-1 Exchange Visitor Visas

Arriving at the invitation of an approved exchange program visa program, these visa holders include research scholars, business trainees, teachers and professors, as well as au pairs, camp counsellors and students. Often have a two year obligation to leave the US at the end of their stay. Waivers may be available.

O-1 Extraordinary Ability Worker Visas

Foreign nationals with extraordinary ability in the arts, entertainment, science, sports or business may apply for an O-1 visa to enter the US to continue to work in that field of extraordinary ability.

Contact Melissa Chavin – US Visa Lawyer

To discuss your specific circumstances and requirements, contact London based US lawyer Melissa Chavin to schedule a paid consultation. Consultations may be conducted by phone, in person in London, or by video conference and cost GB£425. Ms. Chavin is licensed to practice US law, and can help you resolve your concerns.


Arrange a Consultation