Updated with the Overturning of the Injunction on January 27, 2020 by the US Supreme Court and Announcement of Implementation of the Rule from February 24, 2020

Written By: Melissa Chavin

The US Government Daily Journal, the “Federal Register” published the new rule by the Department of Homeland Security on the Public Charge Inadmissibility Grounds on August 14, 2019. It was 837 pages in the version published just before final publication. I am reading through that version and blogging my notes as I go. These notes would be helpful for anyone trying to get a quick summary of the issues covered by the rule and a hint to changes that will effect adjudications.  Those applications and petitions already pending with the USCIS on the effective date of the rule are not subject to it.

Written by Melissa Chavin

Visa Bulletin Chaos

Issuance of immigrant visas based on employment based petitions and approval of adjustment of status to green card holder based on approved EB-1, EB-2 and EB-3 petitions are chaotic this July.

Written by Melissa Chavin

The US Attorney General Jeffrey Sessions, a proponent of lower undocumented immigrant numbers through deportation and other means, has taken up yet another case from the immigration courts, which sit under the Department of Justice.  Attorney General Sessions heads the DOJ.

Written by Sofia van Mierlo, Work Experience Intern

Per the 26 June 2018 US Supreme Court decision in Trump v. Hawaii, U.S. President Trump’s Presidential Proclamation 9645 from 24 September 2017 banning travel to the United States from several countries will stand.  

Permanent residents with a condition on their status, also known as conditional residents, can get 18 month extensions on their status when they file to get the condition removed, as of June 11, 2018.  The USCIS announced this change on June 12, 2018.

Request Renewal Six Months before your Green Card Expiration Date

If you are a US legal permanent resident living in London, either with a re-entry permit or frequent return visits to the United States, you may need to renew your card.  Take a look at the front of your permanent resident card to find the expiration date.  Six months before it expires, you can submit Form I-90 to the US immigration service in the United States to request a new card with another ten years on it.